Pre-pandemic visa rules
- Passport Validity
- Effective September 1, 2017, USA passports are not valid for travel into, in, or through North Korea.
This is NOT a ban by North Korea - it is a travel ban imposed by the USA on holders of its passport. As a result, Koryo Tours, reknown in USA/UK mass
media for its first-hand experience in North Korea, no longer accepts travellers using USA passport on its tours.
- - No transit without visa facilities available.
- Dual Nationality
U.S. policy on dual nationality can be found
- Persons who wish to travel to North Korea on a USA passport after September 1, 2017 must obtain a special passport validation
from the US State Dept., and such validations will be granted only under very limited circumstances. The State Dept. warns that using a USA passport in
violation of these restrictions could result in criminal penalties, and the passport may be revoked.
- Visitors traveling for tourist purposes must hold an authorization to travel, issued by a travel company in North Korea.
- The border between North and South Korea is closed to tourists, so entry and exit is only through China. Therefore travel to North Korea requires
multiple entry and exit visas for China.
- Regrettably, searches failed to uncover any North Korea government website providing visa information. Being forced to rely only on State Dept.
information, in a period of heightened USA-North Korea hostlility, is certainly far from optimal.