Should be called "The Farmer's Terrible Night in the Devil's Hotel", as this augments Méliès' 1896 A Terrible Night (Une nuit terrible) with
tricks from Méliès' 1896 Le manoir du diable (The House of the Devil/The Devil's Castle/The Haunted Castle) to add another entry to the
rube-in-the-city genre that was then popular.
From description at
Sulphur Springs Collection of Pre-Nickelodeon Films
Restoration of this comic trick film salvaged 108 ft. of its original 150 ft. length. Some opening
action described by the catalog in which the Farmer first enters the hotel lobby was missing.